Monday, January 7, 2013

Is there a role for non-Aboriginal people in #IdleNoMore


After contributing a short video and some pictures from the Idle No More rally I attended in Saskatoon on January 5th to the #IdleNoMore website, I received a very kind comment back which included the question, what did I bring back from the experience of attending the rally.  This blog is devoted to answering that question from the perspective of one who is not Aboriginal.  I am, in fact, a white, male, senior citizen (barely…senior, that is).  I should also acknowledge that Aboriginal issues are not new for me as I have worked off and on for almost 30 years with various First Nations and Metis organizations. 

The January 5th rally in Saskatoon was the fourth #IdleNoMore event I attended.  In the first three events, I brought my bear drum to support the singers and at the rally I obviously brought my iPad and contributed photos (both drum and iPad were gifts from my Cree spouse).  Being somewhat limited in my capacity, I am unable to drum and take pictures at the same time.  The experience I came away with at all four events was a deep sense of joy and hope and exhilaration.  Why?  The hook that first got me involved in Aboriginal issues was the over-representation of First Nations and Metis people in prison.  Since then I have dealt with other concerns such as traditional justice (peace-keeping and peace-making), Aboriginal control of services, self-governance, Constitutional issues, Treaty Land Entitlement, urban native issues, natural resources, residential schools, and indigenous organic market gardens. 

Having also done research and teaching in these areas, I have often wondered when First Nations and Metis people would take matters into their own hands and show resistance to forces equally destructive as apartheid in South Africa, the holocaust for Jewish people, or as the Vietnam War and slavery of black people in the U.S.  I came away from the rally with a deep sense that it is beginning to happen, and how happy I am to be included in this resistance.  It is an honour to stand with this movement and be idle no more about injustices that are as abominable as those I have listed above among others. 

I come from a people who were invited by the colonialist government of the time to come to Canada a few years after the first several numbered Treaties were signed – the Mennonites.  We came in several groupings over a period of 50-60 years.  Most of us came with nothing but our experience in farming and we were given cheap if not free land.  Although I was raised in poverty, I owe a lot to the indigenous peoples of Turtle Island.  I do not waste my time with guilt about this, or with self-loathing or with blaming my people; rather, I am delighted and grateful for the opportunity to give back through my previous work and now by standing with #IdleNoMore, to give back from that which was shared by indigenous ancestors with my ancestors.  These Treaties are my Treaties as well, and they gave me life.  Indeed, we are all Treaty people. 

At the first flash mob round dance in Saskatoon, I thought that it might be seen as inappropriate for me as a non-Aboriginal to join in, especially bringing my own drum and supporting the singers. It’s not that I would feel awkward; in fact, I feel much more at home with most Aboriginal people than I do with most white people.  But I did not want to usurp or exploit what is essentially an Aboriginal movement; there has been too much of that.  But as I listened to Tantoo Cardinal, Chief Wally Fox and particularly the four women who founded #IdleNoMore (one of whom is non-Aboriginal), I found my spirit singing with their spirit.  The #IdleNoMore issues are my issues as well, and I would be so bold as to say that they are the issues of every single Canadian, whether they realize it now or not. 

So it is encouraging to see more and more non-Aboriginal people at #IdleNoMore events.  Those of us who attend and participate have far more in common with Aboriginal people than either side realizes.  Many non-Aboriginal people have seen the light as well, many are looking for a way to deal with the brokenness of our society and our world, many, in fact the majority, do not have a voice and feel powerless.  Let us not forget that Steven Harper and his cabal were elected by only 23-24% of eligible voters in Canada.  That means the majority of non-Aboriginal people should really support #IdleNoMore. 

Who among us all on Turtle Island wants to live without clean water?  Who among us all wants to live with a poisoned atmosphere?  Who among us wants to live with soil that has become useless?  Who among us can live with our own Mother being raped and abused?  If we acquiesce to these realities, we won’t be living with anything anymore, we’ll be dead. 

This is what #IdleNoMore is shedding some light on, and this is what every single Canadian that is not part of the 1% should support.  There is a role for non-Aboriginal people in the Idle No More movement as supporters, as allies, as participants, as contributors, but not as leaders or saviours.  If anyone is going to do any "saviouring", it will be Aboriginal people saving the rest of us.  They did it before; let’s support them in doing it again.